Working with schools
As a free-lance Forest School Leader I can deliver Forest School sessions on school grounds. A block of a minimum of 6 sessions is recommended as the benefits are realised through regular, on-going contact with the environment which encourages deep-level learning and progression.
Sessions can be tailored to the needs of the school or class and themes from the classroom can be incorporated into the planning.
I am currently working with Charlton Kings Infants' School to deliver Forest School sessions to Year 2. These sessions are tailored to the children's interests and encourage team work as well as building resilience. Follow the link to find out more. http://www.ckis.org.uk/page/?title=Y2+Forest+School&pid=104
- Have regular sessions of 1 ½ hours – 3 hours either weekly or fortnightly
- Maximise benefits and reduce costs if planning to run the programme over a year or more
- Book in sessions for a minimum of a term
- Have a taster session for staff, parents and volunteers
- Involve the children in planning and preparing their own area
- Attend staff meetings to agree and plan sessions
- Provide all materials and equipment for activities
- Put together a hand book for all staff and volunteers
- Do thorough risk assessments and safety sweeps
- Provide parental permission forms and medical information forms for children
The adult: child ratio will be appropriate for the age of the children, the site and the activities. Costs will vary due to the tailor-made programme to suit the individual requirements of the school so please contact me for further details on costs.
Fantastic, Mindy Pickering's Forest School work with pupils of St Edward's Junior School Cheltenham from Reception to Year 6 has been the highlight of the school year! The children have been excited by their Forest School experience and by Mindy's enthusiasm. We are hoping to be able to get Mindy's input as a regular feature of our curriculum.(T. Mooney, Former Head Teacher, St Edward's Junior School, Cheltenham)